Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.
— H. L. Mencken
I'm James, a designer and programmer living in Valencia, Spain.
In this website I share some of my thoughts, in case someone else finds them useful.
Everything here is my personal opinion.
Why write this
- Collecting thoughts
- Sharing ideas
- Making friends and acquaintances
- Video games
- We have every reason to be optimistic. The world is a wonderful place, and getting better.
- Internet is awesome. And we are only beginning to see its effects on the world.
- The world has a lot of busywork that accomplishes nothing.
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
— Blaise Pascal, Pensées
- Most things are the way they are because of the way they used to be (path dependency). There is often not a good reason for things to stay the way they are.
- The education system is terrible. We can do better.
- People think science is rigorous, but scientific publishing is actually unreliable, biased, and unfair.
- A lot of areas are full of BS. Avoid them like the plague. For example: business theory, management consulting, business coaching, life coaching, psychoanalysis, self-help (not to be confused with self-improvement), crypto.
Fights to pick: mine and others
They say you have to pick your fights. Life is short, so you don't have time to fix everything.
These are the fights I have picked:
- Traditional education system
- Bullshit jobs (work, productivity, and effectiveness)
- Business BS
- Scientific publishing
Here are some fights I would pick if I have more time and energy:
- Big Corp's nasty stuff (big pharma, big tech, tax preparation services)
- Cars (vs. public transport)
- Consumerism (fast fashion, cheap construction)
- Animal suffering
- Fossil fuels
- Charlatans, windbags
- Job interviews
- Global warming (duh)